Pena's 10th-inning blast shoots Astros over BrewersJun 21, 2013 - 1:45 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Carlos Pena's three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning sent Houston to a 7-4 decision over Milwaukee in the rubber match of a three-game interleague set.
Carlos Corporan reached base after a wild-pitch third strike from Michael Gonzalez (0-3), then advanced to third on a double from J.D. Martinez. Pena followed with a long homer to right to end the contest, earning himself a Gatorade shower.
"It never gets old," Pena said of that unexpected celebration.
The blast made a winner of Hector Ambriz (2-4), who turned in a scoreless top of the 10th.
Corporan slugged the game-tying homer in the eighth for the Astros, who have won six of their last eight. Marwin Gonzalez, Matt Dominguez and Trevor Crowe added an RBI each in the victory.
Jean Segura and Carlos Gomez posted a pair of hits each, while Jonathan Lucroy added a solo homer for the Brewers, who finished their nine-game road swing with a 4-5 record.
Milwaukee scored three times on one hit in the second inning thanks to two costly errors. Aramis Ramirez was plunked to start the frame, then Lucroy singled before being erased on Yuniesky Betancourt's fielder's choice grounder. Jose Altuve then booted a Scooter Gennett grounder at second base to score a run and Justin Maxwell's drop of a Caleb Gindl fly to right brought home two more.
Houston came back with two in the fifth on a pair of fielder's choice grounders by Gonzalez and Crowe, but the hosts failed to capitalize later with the bases loaded and two outs.
Lucroy's opposite-field blast to right put the Brewers up 4-2 in the following frame, but a two-out RBI double from Dominguez pulled the hosts within one in the home half. Lucroy's gaffe on a passed ball allowed two runners to reach scoring position.
"I just screwed up," Lucroy said. "You can't be giving away bases for free. We have to get that cleaned up."
The Brewers couldn't produce any insurance runs despite runners on the corners in the eighth, and it was costly as Corporan greeted Jim Henderson with a shot off the right-field foul pole to start the home portion.
In the ninth, Dominguez doubled off John Axford and moved to third on a grounder by Gonzalez. Brandon Barnes then struck out swinging and Altuve grounded out to send the game to extras.
Astros starter Lucas Harrell gave up four runs -- one earned -- and five hits over 5 1/3 innings, while Brewers counterpart Yovani Gallardo gave up three unearned runs and five hits during seven full frames ... Crowe left the game in the seventh inning with a right shoulder injury originally suffered tracking down Lucroy's sixth-inning homer. He was later placed on the 15-day disabled list with what is being called a shoulder sprain, with outfielder Marc Krauss promoted from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
Jun 20 6:02 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Josh Fields and J.D. Martinez to end the game.
Brewers 4, Astros 7 Bot 10, 1 OutJun 20 5:58 PM
- Carlos Corporan lead-off Home Run (5) to right. J.D. Martinez due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 20 5:00 PM
- Matt Dominguez doubled to center scoring J.D. Martinez. Runner on second with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 20 4:16 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Juan Francisco due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 20 3:54 PM
- Trevor Crowe grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Matt Dominguez. Marwin Gonzalez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Altuve due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 20 3:42 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice to first scoring Justin Maxwell. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Trevor Crowe due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 3:39 PM
- Caleb Gindl reached third on Justin Maxwell's missed catch error scoring Yuniesky Betancourt and Scooter Gennett. Runner on third with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 20 2:38 PM
- Scooter Gennett reached first on Jose Altuve's fielding error scoring Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Caleb Gindl due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 20 2:36 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 2:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21