Angels score late to down AstrosJun 29, 2013 - 4:16 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Peter Bourjos scored the go-ahead run in the eighth inning on a Ronny Cedeno throwing error as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim slipped past the Houston Astros, 4-2, to open a three-game series.
Erick Aybar went 2-for-3 with two RBI and a run scored, while Mike Trout knocked in a run and saved another with a highlight-reel catch to help the Angels win their fourth straight on the heels of a three-game slide.
Dane De La Rosa (3-1) recorded the final two outs in the seventh -- the last coming on Trout's tremendous leaping grab at the warning track with a runner on second -- to earn the win behind Jerome Williams, who limited Houston to one run on five hits and three walks in 6 1/3 innings of work.
The first run the Astros mustered came when Jason Castro sent a payoff pitch over the wall in right-center to lead off the fourth inning.
Houston's Bud Norris was looking to go 4-0 against the Angels this season and was cruising until an error allowed the visitors to pull even in the sixth.
Aybar singled to open the frame and moved to second on Brandon Barnes' error. Two batters later, Trout lined a base hit over the glove of a leaping Jose Altuve at second to make it a 1-1 game.
Aybar was again a factor on the basepaths in the eighth when he tried advancing to second on a flyout to center field. Bourjos, pinch-running for Hank Conger after he doubled, was easily in at third base on the play, so Cedeno cut off the relay throw and tried nabbing Aybar at second.
His toss, however, was low and skipped into right field, allowing Bourjos to trot in with the go-ahead run.
Paul Clemens (4-3) was on the hill during the deciding inning and suffered the loss. Norris took a tough no-decision after allowing one unearned run on four hits and a walk over seven frames.
Houston had runners on the corners with one out in the eighth and failed to capitalize. Castro's fly ball to left field wasn't deep enough, and Chris Carter hit a routine pop up to center to end the threat.
Aybar added two insurance runs on a bases-loaded single with two away in the ninth, proving vital after Ernesto Frieri gave up a walk and a double leading off the ninth to bring the tying run to the plate.
Frieri, however, limited the damage to Matt Dominguez's sacrifice fly as he locked down his 20th save of the season and sent Houston to its third loss in four games.
Norris has allowed one earned run over 28 innings (0.32 ERA) against the Angels this year. He is 1-7 with a 4.50 ERA over his other 12 starts ... The Angels have won a season-high five straight road games ... The Astros completed a four-game sweep of the Angels in Anaheim earlier this month.
- Pinch-Hitter Marc Krauss struck out looking to end the game.
Jun 29 12:02 AM
- Matt Dominguez sacrifice fly to center scored Carlos Pena. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Brandon Barnes due up.
Angels 4, Astros 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 28 11:57 PM
- Erick Aybar single to right scored Mark Trumbo and Josh Hamilton. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 4, Astros 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 28 11:34 PM
- J.B. Shuck flied out to center. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second and Peter Bourjos scored on Ronny Cedeno's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 2, Astros 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 28 10:49 PM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Astros 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 28 9:54 PM
- Jason Castro lead-off Home Run (11) to right center. Chris Carter due up.
Angels 0, Astros 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 28 9:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21