Rays rout AstrosJul 2, 2013 - 6:47 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Matt Moore tossed seven scoreless innings as the Tampa Bay Rays blanked the Houston Astros, 12-0, in the opener of a four- game set at Minute Maid Park.
Moore (11-3) allowed just two hits, walked three and struck out eight to win his third straight start. Cesar Ramos worked two perfect innings in relief.
Sean Rodriguez went 4-for-6 with two doubles and three RBI, Ryan Roberts hit a two-run homer and a solo shot, and Sam Fuld added three hits and a pair of RBI for the Rays, winners in six of their last eight games.
"We know everybody can hit on this team, and to see the guys come out and do it tonight, it was awesome to be a part of," Roberts said.
Dallas Keuchel (4-5) was charged with five runs on eight hits and five walks over 4 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
The Rays plated three runs in the third inning. With runners at second and third and one out, James Loney lifted a sacrifice fly to left field to score Wil Myers. Roberts followed with a two-run homer to left to give the visitors a 3-0 edge.
Moore gave up a a single to Chris Carter with no outs in the fourth, but went on to retire the next 11 hitters before handing the ball over to Ramos, who retired all six batters he faced.
Tampa Bay added two more in the fifth inning. Yunel Escobar walked and Roberts singled to put two on for Jose Lobaton, who smacked an RBI base hit to left field. Fuld followed with a single that scored Roberts to put the Rays on top 5-0.
Tampa Bay added four more in the seventh and three more in the eighth to break the game open. Fuld, Desmond Jennings, Rodriguez and Myers hit four straight RBI singles to make it 9-0 in the seventh.
In the eighth, Roberts stroked a homer to left-center before Rodriguez belted a two-run double to center to account for the final margin.
"I thought early on we stuck to the plan, but as the game went along it looked like our at-bats got a little more impatient," Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Moore, who threw 101 pitches, has never thrown a complete game ... Tampa Bay, which had 17 hits, went 8-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... Astros first baseman Carlos Pena missed the game due to a death in the family ... Houston has dropped four straight and six of its last seven games overall ... Loney has a 12-game hitting streak.
- Jason Castro struck out looking to end the game.
Jul 1 11:41 PM
- Sean Rodriguez double to left center scored Jose Lobaton and Desmond Jennings with two outs. Runner on second and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 12, Astros 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 1 11:10 PM
- Ryan Roberts one-out, solo Home Run 2 (5) to left center. Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 10, Astros 0 Top 8, 1 OutJul 1 11:01 PM
- Wil Myers single to center scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 9, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:41 PM
- Sean Rodriguez single to left scored Sam Fuld with two outs. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 8, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:35 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to center scored Jose Lobaton with two outs. On the play, Sam Fuld advances to second. Runners on first and second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 7, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:32 PM
- Sam Fuld single to center scored James Loney with two outs. On the play, Jose Lobaton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 6, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:31 PM
- Sam Fuld single to right scored Ryan Roberts with two outs. On the play, Jose Lobaton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 5, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 1 9:51 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to left scored Yunel Escobar with two outs. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 4, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 1 9:50 PM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Ben Zobrist. Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 3, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 1 9:09 PM
- James Loney sacrifice fly to left scored Wil Myers with two outs. Runner on second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 1, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 1 9:09 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 8:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21