Feldman, Rizzo help Cubs top RangersMay 7, 2013 - 7:07 AM
Feldman (3-3) had Texas hitters guessing all night as he yielded just two hits in seven scoreless frames, lowering his ERA to 1.63 over his last four starts. He also helped himself at the plate, delivering an RBI single as part of the big fourth inning.
"He was really, really good again," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Feldman.
Anthony Rizzo and Luis Valbuena each went 3-for-4, while the former added a home run and four RBI for the Cubs, who won after dropping their previous four. Starlin Castro had two RBI and three runs scored.
Nick Tepesch (2-3) took the loss after getting lit up for six runs -- five earned -- on six hits and four walks in four innings of work.
"I just didn't really make a good pitch right there. That was basically it," Tepesch said.
Tepesch retired Nate Schierholtz and Welington Castillo to begin the fourth, but the Cubs rallied with two outs to add to a 1-0 lead. Valbuena got things started with a double and Darwin Barney was walked intentionally to bring Feldman to the plate. The move backfired, as Feldman singled in Valbuena for the first run of the inning.
David DeJesus then drew a walk, Castro singled in two more runs and Rizzo drove in a pair with his single through the hole at shortstop.
Chicago led 1-0 after DeJesus came around to score when Alfonso Soriano grounded into a fielder's choice in the bottom of the first. DeJesus singled to lead off, stole second base and advanced to third on Texas catcher Geovany Soto's throwing error.
Schierholtz's sacrifice fly with one out in the sixth inning plated Castro to give Chicago a 7-0 advantage.
Rizzo's two-run shot to right field in the eighth gave Chicago a nine-run lead, before the Rangers put two on the board in the top of the ninth. Elvis Andrus led off with a double to deep left and scored on a Valbuena throwing error on a grounder off the bat of Adrian Beltre. Soto later knocked in Beltre with a single up the middle to round out the scoring.
The Rangers had gone eight games without committing an error before Soto's poor throw in the first inning ... Texas pitchers surrendered seven walks ... The Rangers had won three straight coming in to the game ... Chicago outhit Texas, 11-5.
- TEXAS: 2
May 6 11:15 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 2, Cubs 9 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 6 11:15 PM
- Adrian Beltre reached first on Luis Valbuena's throwing error scoring Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with none out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Cubs 9 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 6 11:12 PM
- Anthony Rizzo none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Starlin Castro. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 6 10:59 PM
- Nate Schierholtz sacrifice fly to center scored Starlin Castro. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Welington Castillo due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 6 10:20 PM
- Anthony Rizzo singled to left scored David DeJesus and Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 6 9:35 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scoring Darwin Barney and Scott Feldman. On the play, David DeJesus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 6 9:33 PM
- Scott Feldman singled to left scoring Luis Valbuena. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 6 9:25 PM
- Alfonso Soriano grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring David DeJesus.On the play, Anthony Rizzo out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Rangers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 6 8:28 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22