West, Belinelli lead Hornets to rout of slumping PistonsDec 9, 2010 - 4:32 AM New Orleans, LA (Sports Network) - David West scored 25 points and Marco Belinelli added a season-high 22 to lead New Orleans in a 93-74 rout of the Detroit Pistons.
Chris Paul dished out 14 assists and recorded five steals for the Hornets, who snapped a two-game slide and were playing their first home game since NBA commissioner David Stern announced the league has agreed to purchase the team.
"People say I'm being passive," said Paul, who scored six points. "But I have to take what the defense gives me. If I get into the lane and I see three people in front of me, that means people are open. The guys were really knocking down shots tonight."
Ben Gordon came off the bench to score a team-high 19 points for the Pistons, who have dropped six of seven.
Both offenses failed to do much that was remarkable in the first half. The Pistons made 43 percent of their shots, but didn't sink a three-pointer and got to the line for only four free throws.
However, New Orleans' offense wasn't overpowering, and the Hornets held a 22-15 lead after 12 minutes.
Detroit was still hanging around late in the half, as Greg Monroe's tip shot with 3:33 left ended a six-point burst and got the Pistons within 35-30. The Hornets scored the next five and carried a 44-34 advantage into the break, but weren't able to pull away until the middle of the third quarter.
After Rodney Stuckey's layup had the Pistons within 50-44 with 8:34 on the clock, New Orleans went on a 14-0 run. West scored half of the points to help push the margin to 20.
"We have to be more focused on defending," said Pistons forward Jason Maxiell. "They got their run. We dug ourselves a hole."
The Hornets took a 73-57 advantage to the fourth, and led by as many as 25 in the final quarter.
New Orleans made half of its shots, and scored 19 points off 13 Pistons turnovers...Stuckey scored 16 points for Detroit, while Richard Hamilton added 13 and Maxiell 10.
- DETROIT: 74
NEW ORLEANS: 93
Dec 8 10:24 PM
- DETROIT: 57
NEW ORLEANS: 73
End of 3rd
Dec 8 9:55 PM
- DETROIT: 34
NEW ORLEANS: 44
Dec 8 9:05 PM
- DETROIT: 15
NEW ORLEANS: 22
End of 1st
Dec 8 8:44 PM
- DETROIT: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 8 8:14 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27