Miller, Blazers overcome Howard's 39 for winDec 10, 2010 - 7:32 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Andre Miller's 22 points led the Portland Trail Blazers to a 97-83 victory over the Orlando Magic at the Rose Garden.
Wesley Matthews scored 20 and Nicolas Batum added 15 and 10 rebounds for the Blazers, two have won three straight.
Brandon Roy added nine points and Marcus Camby grabbed 13 rebounds with six points in the victory.
Dwight Howard scored a season-high 39 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and recorded three blocks for the Magic, who have lost three straight.
Rashard Lewis added 11 points, while JJ Redick and Jameer Nelson both scored 10 in defeat.
Portland took a 67-62 lead into the fourth and began the quarter on an 8-2 run -- capped by a Rudy Fernandez three-pointer -- to build a 75-64 lead inside 10 minutes.
Matthews connected on a bank-shot with 6:41 remaining to extend the advantage to 13 at 82-69. Orlando responded with four Howard free throws to cut the deficit to nine, but Miller added a short jumper and after Vince Carter missed a layup, LaMarcus Aldridge made two from the line for a 13-point lead.
Miller's driving layup at 4:24 extended the Portland lead to 15 -- its largest of the game -- and the Magic never got closer than 10 down the stretch.
Howard scored 18 in the first quarter and Orlando took a 22-14 lead into the second, but Portland got a 10-point effort from Miller to move within 46-45 heading into the locker room.
After a poor-shooting third quarter for both teams the Blazers were able to take a 67-62 lead into the fourth.
Carter finished with six points and seven rebounds for Orlando...The Magic committed 16 turnovers that Portland turned into 26 points...The Blazers scored 50 of their points in the paint...Aldridge finished with 14 points and six rebounds in the victory...The Blazers' defense grabbed 10 steals en route to 10 fast break points.
- ORLANDO: 83
Dec 10 1:21 AM
- ORLANDO: 62
End of 3rd
Dec 10 12:33 AM
- ORLANDO: 46
Dec 9 11:45 PM
- ORLANDO: 22
End of 1st
Dec 9 11:13 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 9 10:47 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12