'Melo leads Nuggets to another home victoryDec 15, 2010 - 8:13 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Carmelo Anthony poured in 35 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, as the Denver Nuggets stayed hot at home with a 111-94 victory over the Orlando Magic.
Ty Lawson and J.R. Smith each added 16 points for the Nuggets, who have won 10 in a row at the Pepsi Center. Arron Afflalo chipped in with 15 points, while Nene tallied 10 points and 10 boards for the victors.
Denver played without guard Chauncey Billups, who is day-to-day with a sprained right wrist.
"We made some shots, but I told the coaching staff it was -- other than the Dallas game -- the most quality win we've had all year," said Denver head coach George Karl.
Dwight Howard finished with 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Magic, who went 1-3 on a four-game road trip. J.J. Redick donated 29 points and five boards off the bench for Orlando, which got 18 points from Vince Carter.
"(It's) not mismatches, not fatigue. Lack of effort, lack of toughness, lack of any desire to defend anyone," said Orlando head coach Stan Van Gundy of why the team has been struggling.
Trailing, 88-87, with 9:42 to play, Denver put together an impressive 24-5 run to claim victory. After Carter made a three-pointer to cut Orlando's deficit to 92-91, Afflalo made a three of his own to make it 95-91 with 5:38 to play.
Anthony followed with a three-point play and two free throws to give the Nuggets a 100-91 edge. His free throw with 1:34 left made it a 111-93 contest.
The Magic held a 31-29 edge after 12 minutes, but Denver used a late surge in the second quarter to go in front.
Trailing by two, 48-46, the Nuggets went on a 15-3 run. Al Harrington made a pair of three-pointers during the stretch, which Afflalo capped with a layup for a 61-51 margin. It was 61-55 at the break.
Orlando scored the first nine points of the third to go back in front, 64-61, on a Howard free throw. The remainder of the period was tight, and Denver took a 79-78 edge into the fourth.
The Magic were without forwards Quentin Richardson (elbow) and Ryan Anderson (foot) and guards Chris Duhon (back) and Mickael Pietrus (knee)...Denver improved to 11-1 at home this season...The Nuggets have now won 57 straight home games when leading after three quarters.
- ORLANDO: 94
Dec 14 11:26 PM
- ORLANDO: 78
End of 3rd
Dec 14 10:51 PM
- ORLANDO: 55
Dec 14 10:08 PM
- ORLANDO: 31
End of 1st
Dec 14 9:36 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 14 9:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Magic walk away from season disappointed, yet encouraged Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14