Matthews scores 30, Blazers top JazzDec 31, 2010 - 7:43 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Wesley Matthews tied a career high with 30 points to lead the Portland Trail Blazers to a 100-89 victory over the Utah Jazz at the Rose Garden.
LaMarcus Aldridge added 27 points on 10-of-18 shooting for the Blazers, who have two wins in their last four games -- both against the Jazz. Andre Miller provided 16 points and 10 assists in the win, while Marcus Camby hauled in 20 rebounds.
"It was a team effort," Matthews said. "That's the only way that you can beat a team like (the Jazz). Every played well together and stepped up tonight."
Deron Williams scored 19 points with eight assists for the Jazz, who had won their last three in Portland. Paul Millsap had 17 points, while Al Jefferson provided 13 points and 10 boards in defeat.
"We can't keep getting down early; we're going to burn out trying to come back every night," Williams said. "It takes a toll on your body and takes a toll on you mentally."
Gordon Hayward had 11 points for Utah.
The Blazers led by as many as 19 and played frontrunner nearly the entire game. They led, 29-25, after the first quarter and 46-41 at halftime before pulling away in the third.
Raja Bell's three-pointer pulled Utah to within one point before an 18-4 Portland run gave the Blazers a comfortable lead.
Portland scored on eight straight possessions, the last of which resulted in a pair of Matthews free throws for a 70-55 advantage with just under five minutes to play.
The Jazz got within six before Matthews spearheaded a 9-2 burst that ended with a three-pointer for a 13-point lead. Williams' basket in the final seconds had Utah within 79-68 heading to the fourth.
The gap was never smaller than seven in the final 12 minutes.
The home team won for the first time in four games in this series...Portland's Brandon Roy (knee) missed his seventh straight game...The Blazers lead the season series, 2-1...Portland is 11-3 at home, while Utah dropped to 11-5 on the road...The Blazers committed only nine turnovers, compared to 18 for the Jazz.
- UTAH: 89
Dec 31 12:34 AM
- UTAH: 68
End of 3rd
Dec 30 11:59 PM
- UTAH: 41
Dec 30 11:12 PM
- UTAH: 25
End of 1st
Dec 30 10:36 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 30 10:11 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11