Lakers down Pistons, Bryant surpasses Wilkins in all-time scoringJan 5, 2011 - 7:33 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Pau Gasol scored 21 points and Kobe Bryant continued his climb up the NBA's all-time scoring list as the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Detroit Pistons, 108-83, at Staples Center.
Bryant totaled 17 points to pass Dominique Wilkins for 10th place with 26,671, while also recording eight assists and seven rebounds.
"It's a great honor," Bryant said of passing Wilkins. "It's something you look back on when your career is over. I remember him for his dunks -- he powered through people."
Lamar Odom logged 16 points and nine boards off the bench for the Lakers, who have won three of their last four games.
Greg Monroe posted 14 points and 11 rebounds for Detroit, which has lost three straight and five of six overall.
The Lakers led 24-19 after the opening 12 minutes and the lead reached 10 early in the second on a Steve Blake three-pointer and a layup by Odom. Detroit closed to within three at halftime, but Los Angeles began the third quarter on a 16-2 run to go up 61-44.
The Pistons were down 76-59 heading into the final frame.
"We played extremely well in the first half, but in the third period, they took advantage of every opportunity," said Detroit head coach John Kuester. "We don't have the toughness to grind things out."
Andrew Bynum had 13 points and six rebounds for the Lakers...Tracy McGrady and Tayshaun Prince scored 14 and 12 points, respectively, for Detroit...The Lakers have won five straight against the Pistons.
- DETROIT: 83
LOS ANGELES: 108
Jan 5 12:52 AM
- DETROIT: 59
LOS ANGELES: 76
End of 3rd
Jan 5 12:23 AM
- DETROIT: 42
LOS ANGELES: 45
Jan 4 11:40 PM
- DETROIT: 19
LOS ANGELES: 24
End of 1st
Jan 4 11:08 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jan 4 10:42 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5
- Former Lakers coach Byron Scott 'shocked' over firing May 5