Orlando wins eighth straight, downs struggling RocketsJan 8, 2011 - 6:33 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Jason Richardson and Brandon Bass each scored 18 points to lead the Orlando Magic to their eighth straight win, a 110-95 drubbing of the suddenly struggling Houston Rockets.
Richardson went 7-for-8 from the field and Bass grabbed nine rebounds for the Magic, who shot 73-percent from the field in the third quarter to turn a three-point halftime lead into a rout.
Ryan Anderson scored all 16 of his points in the second half, while Dwight Howard chipped in 13 points and 11 caroms for the victors.
"We had the right mind set tonight," Howard said.
The Rockets have lost all four of their games in January after an 11-4 stretch in December. Kevin Martin led the way in another losing effort with 27 points.
There were 13 lead changes in a back-and-forth first half. Houston took a 28-27 edge after the opening quarter, and the Magic inched out to a 53-50 advantage at the break.
The third quarter played out much differently, as the Rockets went five-plus minutes without scoring early on. Orlando's subsequent 17-point run, capped by an Anderson three-pointer, gave the hosts a 74-55 lead with 5:33 on the clock.
"We hung our heads and they got on a roll," Rockets head coach Rick Adelman said. "You can't do that against a good team on the road."
Earl Clark's driving bucket in the closing seconds put the finishing touches on a 39-point frame for the hosts and provided a 92-71 cushion with a quarter to play.
The outcome was never in doubt in the final 12 minutes.
Hedo Turkoglu had 12 points for the Magic, who received a 10-point, eight- assist performance from Jameer Nelson...Luis Scola netted 14 points, while Patrick Patterson added 12 off the bench for Houston...Orlando won the battle on the glass, 48-35...The Rockets had a sizeable edge at the free throw line, making 22-of-28 attempts. The Magic went to the stripe just 12 times, though they never missed.
- HOUSTON: 95
Jan 7 10:28 PM
- HOUSTON: 71
End of 3rd
Jan 7 9:54 PM
- HOUSTON: 50
Jan 7 9:08 PM
- HOUSTON: 28
End of 1st
Jan 7 8:36 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jan 7 8:10 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27