Hornets ground Hawks with record-low scoring outputJan 22, 2011 - 3:52 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Chris Paul led a balanced attack with 16 points and eight assists, as the New Orleans Hornets annihilated the Atlanta Hawks, 100-59, in a record-setting game at Philips Arena.
The Hawks set an Atlanta record for fewest points scored in a game. The previous low was 63 points, which took place on November 19, 1996 at Cleveland.
David West finished with 15 points and eight boards for the Hornets, who have won seven in a row. Marco Belinelli made a trio of three-pointers en route to 15 points.
"We played a great game," Belinelli said. "I think we played against one great team. They beat Boston in Boston. We were ready for that. We won the game out there on defense."
Jamal Crawford chipped in with 14 points off the bench for the Hawks, who had a brief two-game win streak snapped. Josh Smith added 13 points and eight rebounds.
Atlanta shot a dismal 29.1 percent from the field, including a 23.7 percent performance in the second half.
"It was very tough," Crawford said. "I think we came out and just laid an egg. Unfortunately teams go through situations like that during the course of an 82-game season. You just hate to have it happen to you."
The Hornets held a 19-17 edge following a back-and-forth first quarter.
Joe Johnson put the Hawks ahead, 29-28, with under six minutes to play in the first half. New Orleans, though, responded with an impressive 21-5 run. Paul tallied 10 points during the surge, including two free throws prior to the break to make it 49-34.
The momentum carried over to the third, as the Hornets started the period on a 21-4 burst. West and Belinelli accounted for 17 points during the stretch, which Emeka Okafor capped with an alley-oop layup for a 70-38 margin with 4:48 left.
New Orleans, which led 70-45 after three quarters, cruised to victory in the fourth.
It was Atlanta's worst home defeat since March 30, 2000 -- a 118-74 blowout by Phoenix.
The Hornets swept the season series from the Hawks...Atlanta's franchise record for lowest points scored in a game is 57, set by the Milwaukee Hawks in 1955...Hawks center Al Horford (right ankle) missed the game...The Hornets were without guard Trevor Ariza (knee)...New Orleans has won four in a row on the road...Okafor had four points and 12 rebounds.
- NEW ORLEANS: 100
Jan 21 9:46 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 70
End of 3rd
Jan 21 9:21 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 49
Jan 21 8:39 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 19
End of 1st
Jan 21 8:04 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jan 21 7:43 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7