Evans, Kings down BlazersJan 25, 2011 - 7:45 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Tyreke Evans posted 26 points, six rebounds and six assists as Sacramento pulled away late to defeat Portland, 96-81, at the Rose Garden.
Carl Landry poured in 16 points and eight rebounds off the bench for the Kings, who ended a four-game slide. DeMarcus Cousins and Beno Udrih each had 14 points in the victory.
"That's what it feels like when you get a lead and hold a lead," said Kings head coach Paul Westphal. "It was a great effort."
Wesley Matthews notched 21 points and Andre Miller had 18 and five assists as the Trail Blazers had a five-game win streak snapped. Nicolas Batum chipped in with 16 points and nine boards.
Sacramento lead by 10, 75-65, less than two minutes into the final frame after a Jason Thompson tip-in. The Trail Blazers, though, fought back with an 8-2 run following Miller's putback layup to make it a four-point contest with 7 1/2 minutes left.
Evans and Udrih then made back-to-back jumpers to grow the lead back to eight.
Batum's two free throws and a trey sandwiched a Landry jumper and LaMarcus Aldridge made a free throw for a 83-79 game with just over four minutes to play.
Sacramento pulled away late with a seven-point burst, which was capped by Omri Casspi's tip in, to go up, 90-79. Portland was unable to make up the deficit in the final 90 seconds.
In a tight first quarter that saw six ties, Sacramento went on a late six- point run capped off by Samuel Dalembert's putback dunk with 52.9 seconds left to give the Kings a 24-18 edge.
Landry then made a free throw to put the visitors up 25-20 after the first 12 minutes of play.
The Kings stretched their lead to 13 with 6:14 left in the half following Udrih's trey. But Portland chiseled into the deficit the rest of the way and made it a two-point game, 45-43, at the break.
Trailing by four in the third, Casspi led a 10-0 run with eight points to give Sacramento a 61-55 edge with 4:45 left.
Patty Mills' three-pointer tied the game at 63 with 2 1/2 minutes left, but Pooh Jeter answered back with a long jumper to regain the Kings' lead. Dante Greene hit two free throws with time waning in the third to give Sacramento a 70-65 edge after three quarters of play.
Portland is still 16-6 at the Rose Garden this year...Sacramento stopped a four-game losing streak in Portland...Cousins had eight rebounds and Casspi finished with 12 points and seven boards...Sacramento made 50 percent of its shots, while the Trail Blazers struggled, making just 39.5 percent from the field...Portland had 19 turnovers, which yielded 31 points for the Kings.
- SACRAMENTO: 96
Jan 25 12:22 AM
- SACRAMENTO: 70
End of 3rd
Jan 24 11:49 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 45
Jan 24 11:08 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 25
End of 1st
Jan 24 10:36 PM
- SACRAMENTO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jan 24 10:11 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 10