Balanced Magic down reeling PacersJan 27, 2011 - 4:31 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Jason Richardson's 19-point performance tipped him over the 13,000 career point mark as the Orlando Magic disposed of the stumbling Indiana Pacers, 111-96, at Conseco Fieldhouse.
Dwight Howard posted 19 points and 16 rebounds and Hedu Turkoglu scored 18 and collected six rebounds for Orlando, which bounced back from a 103-96 loss to Detroit on Monday and won its fourth game in five tries.
The Magic had a well-balanced attack which saw six players in double digits including Ryan Anderson, Jameer Nelson and JJ Redick.
"We got off to a good start," said Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy, who recorded his 200th win with the club. "We played a very good first half. We played a very good first eight minutes of the third quarter and then I think we struggled a little bit."
Danny Granger had a game-best 27 points while Darren Collison poured in 21 points for the Pacers, who suffered a season-worst sixth straight loss. Mike Dunleavy and Paul George each had 10 points in the loss.
Gilbert Arenas made a three-pointer with 1.2 seconds left in the opening quarter to give Orlando a 24-21 lead after 12 minutes of play.
The Magic continued to heat up from the three-point line in the second stanza when they made 7-of-10 from the beyond the arc, which helped them balloon the margin to as much as 17. Orlando went on to hold a 62-48 edge at the break.
"It's hard to beat a team that shoots 47 percent on their threes," Granger said. "We are missing assignments, defensively and offensively."
Two Richardson foul shots extended the lead to 80-57 just past the midway point of the third quarter before the Pacers whittled the margin to 86-72 heading into the final frame.
The Pacers cut the deficit to 86-78 on a Granger free throw with 10:21 left in the game, but Turkoglu answered with a three-point play to grow the lead back to 10. From there, Orlando cruised to the win.
Orlando waived guard Jason Williams prior to the game. The veteran guard had reportedly been upset with his lack of playing time and left the team before the decision was made to let him go... The Magic travel to Chicago on Friday while Indiana will host New Jersey on Friday...The Magic have won four straight and 10 of their past 12 with Indiana....Orlando finished making 16- of-34 of its three-point shots, while the Pacers made just 8-of-30 from beyond the arc...Anderson had 14 points, Nelson netted 12 points and Redick added in the win...Van Gundy is 200-92 with the Magic and it's his 312th overall NBA win.
- ORLANDO: 111
Jan 26 9:25 PM
- ORLANDO: 86
End of 3rd
Jan 26 8:56 PM
- ORLANDO: 62
Jan 26 8:13 PM
- ORLANDO: 24
End of 1st
Jan 26 7:37 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 26 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5