Denver nears playoff berth in win over KingsApr 2, 2011 - 6:00 AM Sacramento, CA (Sports Network) - Raymond Felton scored 17 points and Denver moved to the brink of clinching a playoff spot with a 99-90 win over the Sacramento Kings.
Nene chipped in 12 points, 12 rebounds and six assists for the Nuggets, who have a magic number of one to secure a postseason berth. They are currently fifth in the Western Conference, 2 1/2 games up on Portland.
Kenyon Martin scored 14 in Denver's fifth consecutive victory.
"We got a game that got kind of ugly and sloppy. I thought we were defending well," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "They were contesting our penetration. I think Raymond took on the responsibility of making plays and made the game easy. Our turnovers in the middle of the fourth quarter really hurt us. We had three or four in a row that really gave them life and one more shot at us. After that, our defense really stayed in control."
Francisco Garcia led seven Sacramento players in double figures with 17 points, but the Kings lost the home-and-home series, also falling by 14 points in Denver on Wednesday.
A jumper from Jason Thompson had the Kings within 62-59 with 7:23 left in the third quarter, but a reverse layup from Arron Afflalo started an 8-0 push for Denver. It ended on Danilo Gallinari's slam.
The Nuggets were up by as many as 15 later in the quarter before settling for a 79-67 cushion going to the fourth.
DeMarcus Cousins' layup with 5:18 to go had the visitors within 90-84, but Felton scored the game's next five points, the last during the stretch on a layup after he stole the ball.
The Kings scored 13 in a row during the first quarter for a 24-14 lead, and were up 28-21 after 12 minutes. They were up 51-48 at the half.
"It was a tough night all around. They knocked down shots, we missed a lot of free throws and transition defense," Cousins said.
Denver won three of the four matchups with the Kings this season and is 11-5 in the past 16 contests in this series. The Nuggets also snapped a four-game skid in Sacramento, winning there for the fourth time in the last 28 encounters...Samuel Dalembert had 10 points and 12 rebounds for the Kings, who also got 13 points from Tyreke Evans...Sacramento went 2-of-21 from beyond the arc.
- DENVER: 99
Apr 2 12:33 AM
- DENVER: 79
End of 3rd
Apr 1 11:52 PM
- DENVER: 48
Apr 1 11:09 PM
- DENVER: 21
End of 1st
Apr 1 10:36 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 1 10:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14