Wall helps Wizards solve PistonsApr 6, 2011 - 5:18 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - John Wall capped a terrific all-around effort with a go-ahead dunk in the final minute, as the Wizards broke an eight-game skid to the Pistons with a 107-105 victory.
Wall ended with 26 points, 12 assists and six rebounds for the Wizards, who have three in a row.
"April 9, 2008 is the last time this team won three games in a row," Wizards head coach Flip Saunders noted.
Fellow rookie Greg Monroe had 22 points and 14 rebounds, but missed two key free throws with 10.2 seconds remaining in Detroit's fourth straight loss.
"It's nobody's fault but mine. I have to make free throws in clutch situations," admitted Monroe.
Wall scored 16 points in a fourth quarter that saw eight lead changes. His dunk off a JaVale McGee outlet pass gave Washington a 104-102 lead prior to Monroe's missed freebies.
After Andray Blatche put in his 25th and 26th point from the foul line, Austin Daye drained a three-pointer with 2.9 seconds left. Wall was quickly fouled and only made one free throw for a two-point game, but the Wizards came away with the victory when Daye's three-point try from the left corner rimmed out.
Late in the first quarter, Blatche scored the first seven points of a 13-2 run that helped Washington jump out to a 31-22 lead.
The Pistons slowly began chipping away at the deficit in the second, and took the lead on Daye's three-pointer near the midway point.
A back-and-forth affair ensued, with Detroit holding slim leads at the end of the second (54-52) and third (81-78) stanzas.
Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey sat the bench for a second straight game for disciplinary reasons...Detroit has dropped 11 straight on the road...Daye, Tayshaun Prince, Will Bynum and Tracy McGrady all had 14 points for the Pistons...Maurice Evans donated 20 points and Jordan Crawford had 17 for Washington.
- DETROIT: 105
Apr 5 9:32 PM
- DETROIT: 81
End of 3rd
Apr 5 8:51 PM
- DETROIT: 54
Apr 5 8:11 PM
- DETROIT: 22
End of 1st
Apr 5 7:37 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 5 7:12 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25