Ellis, Warriors pick up rare win over LakersApr 7, 2011 - 7:17 AM Los Angeles Lakers, 95-87.
The outcome, coupled with the Spurs' win over Sacramento, clinches the top seed in the Western Conference for San Antonio.
The Lakers, who were led by Kobe Bryant's 25 points, had won 12 in a row against the Warriors, but the trio of Ellis, Lee and Stephen Curry (20 points), sent LA to a third straight loss.
"They played better than we did," Bryant said bluntly. "We missed a lot of shots tonight."
The Lakers controlled the first quarter, with Bryant's 10 points leading the way to a 23-14 advantage by the end of the frame.
But Ellis scored eight points during a second quarter-opening 10-0 run that gave the Warriors the lead, 24-23, less than three minutes in.
The visitors shot just 4-of-16 from the floor in the frame, and Golden State held a 43-38 halftime lead.
Lee's step-back jumper near the midway point of the third extended the margin to 61-50, and a 9-1 run for the hosts to end the frame made it a 72-55 game.
"We're just playing well," Curry said. "Right now it's clicking."
The Lakers got as close as eight, 90-82, following a Bryant jumper with 2:16 to go, but two consecutive successful possessions from there all but ended the comeback bid.
The Lakers are two games ahead of third-place Dallas with four to play...The Warriors have won three straight overall...Andrew Bynum recorded 13 points and 17 boards, while Pau Gasol had 18 and seven in defeat...The Lakers committed 17 turnovers.
- LOS ANGELES: 87
GOLDEN STATE: 95
Apr 7 1:01 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 55
GOLDEN STATE: 72
End of 3rd
Apr 7 12:21 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 38
GOLDEN STATE: 43
Apr 6 11:34 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 23
GOLDEN STATE: 14
End of 1st
Apr 6 11:03 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 6 10:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20