Nets spoil preseason opener of cold-shooting 76ersOct 6, 2010 - 2:34 AM ROANOKE, Va. (AP) -- Brook Lopez scored 24 points, Terrence Williams added 20, and the New Jersey Nets beat the Philadelphia 76ers 103-96 in an exhibition game Tuesday night.
The Nets shot 51 percent from the field and went 8 of 12 from 3-point range in their first action against an NBA opponent. They beat Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League on Sunday night.
Marreese Speights scored 19 points and Elton Brand added 15 for Philadelphia, which shot just 2 of 18 (11 percent) from 3-point range in its debut under new coach Doug Collins.
Evan Turner, the No. 2 pick in the draft after winning player of the year honors at Ohio State, made only 1 of 6 shots but was 10 for 12 from the free throw line for 12 points.
NEW JERSEY 103
PHILADELPHIA 96 FINAL
Oct 5 9:36 PM
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
NEW JERSEY 26 31 57
PHILADELPHIA 27 31 58 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
NJN - KRIS HUMPHRIES 16, BROOK LOPEZ 11,
TRAVIS OUTLAW 11
PHI - ANDRES NOCIONI 14, JASON KAPONO 12,
CHRIS QUINN 12
Oct 5 8:19 PM
NEW JERSEY 26
PHILADELPHIA 27 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 5 7:49 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29