Suns beat Mavs in outdoor game at Indian WellsOct 10, 2010 - 4:47 AM INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) -- Grant Hill scored 16 points and the Phoenix Suns held off a furious fourth-quarter rally to beat the Dallas Mavericks 98-90 on Saturday night in the third edition of the NBA's outdoor exhibition game at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
On a warm night with game-time temperatures near 90 degrees on the floor of the tennis facility, the Suns broke it open with a 36-point third quarter for an 86-64 lead. The Suns made 13-of-21 shots in the period, defying the game's reputation for poor shooting.
Both teams shot 39.5 percent from the floor on a windless night, but the Mavericks fell behind by hitting just 31 percent (12 of 39) in the first half.
Steve Nash added 15 points for the Suns, who had five players in double figures.
Jose Barea scored 13 for Dallas, followed by Caron Butler with 12.
Mavericks star forward Dirk Nowitzki sat out, saying he was concerned the outdoor conditions could hurt his jump shooting just before the regular season begins.
The Mavericks also were without coach Rick Carlisle, who did not accompany the team on the trip from Dallas after fainting during practice Friday. Assistant coach Dwane Casey served as interim head coach.
PHOENIX 98 FINAL
Oct 10 12:19 AM
PHOENIX 86 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 9 11:39 PM
PHOENIX 50 HALFTIME
Oct 9 10:49 PM
END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
DALLAS 25 25
PHOENIX 20 20 END 1ST QTR
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 1ST QUARTER
DAL - JASON KIDD 5, JOSE JUAN BAREA 4, BRIAN
PHO - GRANT HILL 6, STEVE NASH 4, JASON
Oct 9 10:13 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25
- Face of fracas? Durant says testy playoffs just part of game Apr 25