Novak scores 22 points, Mavs beat PistonsOct 14, 2010 - 2:49 AM GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) -- Steve Novak scored 22 points to help the Dallas Mavericks beat the Detroit Pistons 101-96 on Wednesday night in an exhibition game at Van Andel Arena.
The Mavericks (2-3) led 71-67 going into the fourth quarter and took a seven-point lead at 94-87 with 2 minutes to play on Novak's 3-pointer.
"It was great," said Novak, 6 of 10 from 3-point range. "The biggest thing was we were able to hold them off and get the win. We were 1-3 coming into this game. We know we have to win some games in this preseason. It was a shooter's gym tonight."
Austin Daye had 16 points and five rebounds for Detroit (2-2). He was 3-of-6 in 3-pointers.
"I was looking at Novak's stats and he shot 10 himself," Daye said. "There were a lot of 3s to be had out there and they had the better end of it."
Dominique Jones added 15 points for Dallas, and Tyson Chandler had seven rebounds.
"We only had 14 turnovers which is the lowest we've had yet," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "We've made a little progress yet."
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
DALLAS 24 24 23 30 101
DETROIT 25 21 21 29 96 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: DAL - STEVE NOVAK 22, JOSE JUAN BAREA 14,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 11
DET - AUSTIN DAYE 16, WILL BYNUM 15,
BEN GORDON 15
Oct 13 9:29 PM
DETROIT 67 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 13 8:50 PM
DETROIT 46 HALFTIME
Oct 13 8:08 PM
DETROIT 25 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 13 7:35 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26