Gasol scores 23 points, Lakers beat WarriorsOct 22, 2010 - 5:04 AM SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Pau Gasol scored 23 points and the Los Angeles Lakers, playing without coach Phil Jackson, beat the Golden State Warriors 120-99 on Thursday night in an exhibition game.
Jackson missed the game because of flulike symptoms. Assistant coach Brian Shaw directed the team, the first time he has served as a head coach in an NBA game.
"To tell you the truth, it felt the same," Shaw said. "My demeanor isn't one where I'm demonstrative on the sideline. I did have to rattle a couple of guys at halftime to get them going. It felt like we were kind of going through the motions in the first half."
Kobe Bryant was in uniform, but didn't play as he was resting his surgically repaired left knee.
"He's coming along, working diligently every day," Shaw said. "The main thing for us is to have him as strong as possible Tuesday night when we open the season."
Sasha Vujacic, who said before the game that he's engaged to tennis star Maria Sharapova, had nine points in his first action since sustaining a concussion last week. He missed three games.
Steve Blake had 18 points and six assists, Lamar Odom finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds, and Shannon Brown had 13 points, five assists and three steals. Luke Walton had five points in 11 minutes in his first game of the season. He has been sidelined by a strained hamstring.
Los Angeles took an 11-0 lead and led 55-52 at the half, with Gasol leading the Lakers with 13 points. The Lakers had an 86-76 lead after three quarters went on a 28-8 run over the first 8 minutes of the fourth quarter.
Stephen Curry led the Warriors with 19 points, and David Lee had 17.
Both teams are 3-4 in the preseason.
GOLDEN STATE 99
LA LAKERS 120 FINAL
Oct 22 12:28 AM
GOLDEN STATE 76
LA LAKERS 86 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 21 11:57 PM
GOLDEN STATE 52
LA LAKERS 55 HALFTIME
Oct 21 11:12 PM
GOLDEN STATE 25
LA LAKERS 30 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 21 10:40 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20