Jazz beat Kings, finish 8-0 in preseasonOct 23, 2010 - 4:17 AM SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The Utah Jazz completed the first undefeated preseason in franchise history, beating the Sacramento Kings 82-71 on Friday night.
Al Jefferson, Raja Bell and Kyrylo Fesenko scored 12 points for Utah (8-0), which played without starting point guard Deron Williams (personal reasons).
"We understand it's the preseason, and we don't get cocky about it," forward Andrei Kirilenko said. "But I like that everybody kind of takes it serious and works in the games."
Beno Udrih scored a preseason-high 17 points and Carl Landry added 13 off the bench for Sacramento (3-4), which finished the preseason 1-3 on the road.
Kings rookie center DeMarcus Cousins missed his first six shots and finished 1 for 7 for four points. Tyreke Evans, last season's Rookie of the Year, was held to seven points on 3-of-9 shooting. Sacramento shot 36 percent from the field and committed 21 turnovers.
"Tyreke needs to break out of his little shooting issues, among other guys," said Kings coach Paul Westphal, whose team shot below 40 percent for the fourth time in the preseason.
"I don't like to see a 3 in front of our shooting numbers every night. We have a lot of guys shooting below their normal percentage. It certainly has to come up in order to let your defense have a chance to help you get some wins."
Utah, held to fewer than 100 points for the third consecutive game, opened the second half with an 11-4 run to push a four-point halftime lead to 55-44. Sacramento got no closer than four points the rest of the game.
"Now we've got to start playing for real," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said, downplaying the undefeated mark. "The games don't count for anything other than trying to get better at what you're doing, and that's what we look forward to have happen.
"Hopefully we can play a little bit better than we have the past couple of days."
Jefferson scored eight points in the third quarter for Utah, which outscored the Kings 40-22 in the paint.
The Jazz lost guard C.J. Miles to a right ankle injury midway through the second quarter. He did not return.
Notes: Utah twice finished 7-1 in the preseason (2003-04 and 1994-95). Both teams open the regular season on the road Wednesday. Sacramento is at Minnesota, and Utah is in Denver.
UTAH 82 FINAL
Oct 22 11:20 PM
UTAH 64 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 22 10:48 PM
UTAH 44 HALFTIME
Oct 22 10:10 PM
UTAH 25 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 22 9:35 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14