Nuggets down Suns, clinch No. 3 seedApr 18, 2013 - 5:05 AM
Ty Lawson checked in with 14 points and seven assists for the Nuggets, whose 57-25 record is the third best mark in franchise history and topped all of their previous NBA win totals. They also won their final 23 games at Pepsi Center and finished with an NBA-best 38-3 record at home
Denver will play Golden State in the first round of the playoffs starting Saturday.
"We're confident, but we know in order to win we have to play good basketball," Iguodala said of Denver's playoff chances.
Phoenix, which was led by Luis Scola's 17 points and 11 rebounds, closed out its second worst season (25-57) at the bottom of the West standings.
The Nuggets kept their foot on the gas from the opening tip, as they shot 15- of-24 (63 percent) from the field in the first quarter and jumped out to a 35-20 lead behind 13 points from Chandler.
The margin reached 27 in the final minute of the second quarter, and Iguodala's alley-oop dunk in the closing seconds gave Denver a 66-40 cushion at the intermission.
The closest the Suns got in the second half was 16.
"No one ever wants to end the season like this, but you have to take steps," Suns head coach Lindsey Hunter said.
The Nuggets won 60 games in 1975-76 and 65 in 1974-75 while playing in the ABA ... Denver has won eight of its last nine meetings against the Suns ... Anthony Randolph and Timofey Mozgov both recorded double-doubles off Denver's bench.
- PHOENIX: 98
Apr 17 10:13 PM
- PHOENIX: 69
End of 3rd
Apr 17 9:45 PM
- PHOENIX: 40
Apr 17 9:05 PM
- PHOENIX: 20
End of 1st
Apr 17 8:35 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 11:59
Apr 17 8:13 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- Teletovic's 22 leads Suns past Clippers reserves, 114-105 Apr 14
- Clippers-Suns Preview Apr 13
- Nuggets-Trail Blazers Preview Apr 13
- Suns shift D-League team to Prescott Valley, Arizona Apr 12