Odom leads Lakers over Jazz in preseason openerOct 11, 2006 - 5:23 AM FRESNO, California (Ticker) -- Even without the presence of Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and the Los Angeles Lakers were on fire.
Odom scored 18 points and handed out six assists as the Lakers posted a 94-79 victory over the Utah Jazz in the preseason opener for both teams.
Bryant, who averaged a league-high 35.4 points per game last season, missed the contest due to offseason surgery on his right knee. But Odom picked up the slack, netting 6-of-9 shots, including three 3-pointers.
Smush Parker and Sasha Vujacic added 13 points apiece for the Lakers, who shot 51 percent (33-of-65) from the floor, including 8-of-15 from the arc. Acquired in a draft-day trade, Maurice Evans contributed 12 points and free-agent signee Vladimir Radmanovic had seven.
First-round pick Jordan Farmar collected three points and two steals in just five minutes for Los Angeles, which turned a three-point halftime edge into a 71-57 cushion after three quarters.
Carlos Boozer scored 18 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and Deron Williams added 16 for the Jazz, who controlled the boards, 52-38, including a 20-7 advantage on the offensive glass.
Derek Fisher, who was acquired from Golden State during the offseason, tallied five points, five assists and four steals for Utah. Second-round selection Dee Brown had an assist and a turnover in three minutes.
Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson was not in attendance due to hip surgery.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6