Pistons hold off Timberwolves in second game without WallaceOct 14, 2006 - 3:19 AM OMAHA, Nebraska (Ticker) -- With Ben Wallace currently residing in the "Windy City," the Detroit Pistons found other players to step up defensively in the fourth quarter.
Jason Maxiell scored 16 points and Lindsey Hunter added 15 as the Pistons posted a 101-96 preseason victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves.
A four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, Wallace was the primary cog in the middle for one of the league's best defensive teams. However, the 32-year-old signed a four-year, $60 million contract with Chicago in the offseason, leaving the Pistons with a big void in the paint.
Detroit did not miss a beat defensively Friday, holding Minnesota scoreless for 2 1/2 minutes late in the final period to help secure the victory.
Nazr Mohammed, who will try to fill Wallace's shoes this season, finished with seven points in 26 minutes.
Maxiell played sparingly as a rookie last season, averaging 2.3 points in only six minutes per game. He looked strong Friday, however, shooting 7-of-10 from the field.
Hunter, a 14-year veteran, made 5-of-6 shots in 21 minutes off the bench.
Troy Hudson scored 15 points and Kevin Garnett netted 12 for Minnesota.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26