Diener continues to shine as Magic beat SpursOct 15, 2006 - 3:25 AM SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Ticker) -- Perhaps Travis Diener has Jameer Nelson looking over his shoulder.
Starting for the second time in place of the injured Nelson, Diener scored 23 points as the Orlando Magic posted a 92-87 preseason triumph over the San Antonio Spurs.
Diener has been making the most of his opportunity this preseason, averaging 18.5 points and eight assists over two games. A 6-1 guard with a good shooting touch, Diener was drafted in the second round in 2005.
Diener made 7-of-11 shots, including 4-of-4 from 3-point range, and handed out seven assists for the Magic, who shot 43 percent (33-of-76) from the floor.
Nelson has been sidelined with a mild concussion.
Darko Milicic and Keith Bogan each scored 14 points for Orlando, which took the lead for good at 84-83 on Pat Garrity's shot from the arc with 3:16 remaining.
Manu Ginobili scored 14 points while Tony Parker and Tim Duncan added 10 apiece for the Spurs, who shot 51 percent (35-of-68) and held an 11-0 edge in fast-break points.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13