Murray, Maxiell lift Pistons past JazzOct 17, 2006 - 2:22 AM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- Flip Murray and Jason Maxiell could make the Detroit Pistons even deeper this season.
Murray scored 19 points and Maxiell added 14 as the Pistons posted a 90-85 victory over the Utah Jazz in a preseason contest.
With a star-studded starting lineup, the Pistons won a franchise-record 64 games last season en route to reaching the Eastern Conference finals.
Looking for more depth off the bench, the Pistons added Murray in free agency, and the fifth-year shooting guard provided some punch in this one, making 8-of-13 shots.
Maxiell also is being counted on more heavily after playing in just 26 games for the Pistons as a rookie last season. A 26th overall pick in 2005, the bruising 6-7 forward could see more minutes in the Detroit frontcourt with the departure of Defensive Player of the Year Ben Wallace, who signed with Chicago.
Maxiell has responded in four preseason games, averaging 14.2 points. He made 4-of-5 shots and pulled down seven rebounds in just 23 minutes Monday.
Nazr Mohammed, who will start in the middle in place of Wallace, added 12 points on 6-of-9 shooting in 24 minutes.
Ronnie Brewer, the 14th overall pick in June's draft, scored 15 points for the Jazz, who played without Andrei Kirilenko (back) and Derek Fisher (pelvis).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25