Suns pull away from Magic in fourthMar 20, 2014 - 5:51 AM Phoenix Suns to a 109-93 win over the Orlando Magic on Wednesday.
Gerald Green netted 14 points on 4-of-6 shooting from beyond the arc, Channing Frye and Markieff Morris each tallied 12 and Miles Plumlee contributed 10 points with nine rebounds in the win.
"I just had to stay with it," said Green. "I knew I was going to get shots up and I knew that I was going to be able to get open and try to make plays."
Tobias Harris led all scorers with 23 points for Orlando and Arron Afflalo added 20 in the setback, the Magic's seventh straight loss overall and 21st in their last 22 road games.
Victor Oladipo finished with 14 points and nine assists in the setback.
Orlando's last road victory was a 101-90 win over the Philadelphia 76ers, who are currently in the midst of a 22-game losing streak.
Phoenix shot 45-of-89 (50.6 percent) from the field which helped them improve to 17-0 on the season when shooting 50 percent or better.
The Suns also improved to 2-0 against the Magic this season, which marked the first time Phoenix took the season series from Orlando since the 2007-08 season.
Orlando led 75-74 after a pair of free throws from Harris with 1:33 remaining in the third when Phoenix used a 23-3 run that flowed into the fourth quarter to take a stranglehold on its opponent.
Marcus Morris opened the run with a 3-pointer and then closed the quarter with a 3 to give the Suns an 82-76 lead.
Green nailed two 3s to start the fourth to continue the surge, and Markieff Morris closed it with jumper for a 97-78 lead. Phoenix cruised down the stretch, leading by double digits the rest of the way.
"It's the ability to continue to sustain, to sustain the mind frame throughout the course of the game that gets you through ups and downs of the game," said Magic coach Jacque Vaughn on the Sun's late run. "You need to sustain your overall energy and be able to be locked into each possession."
The game was tied at 25-apiece after one quarter of play and Harris knocked down two free throws to tie it 52-52 at the break.
The Suns are 16-10 against the East this season and improved to 6-0 following a double-digit loss ... Nikola Vucevic was ejected in the first quarter after receiving two technical fouls ... Phoenix finished 11-of-25 from deep ... Each team hauled in 43 rebounds ... The Suns had a 56-34 advantage in the paint.
Mar 20 12:19 AM
- ORLANDO: 76
End of 3rd
Mar 19 11:48 PM
- ORLANDO: 52
Mar 19 11:07 PM
- ORLANDO: 25
End of 1st
Mar 19 10:36 PM
- ORLANDO: 2
1st Quarter - 11:40
Mar 19 10:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14