Bobcats continue playoff push, top MagicApr 5, 2014 - 4:47 AM Charlotte, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Al Jefferson poured in 29 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to lead the Charlotte Bobcats to a 91-80 win over the Orlando Magic on Friday.
Kemba Walker recorded a triple-double with 13 points, 10 assists and 10 boards for the Bobcats, who are closing in on the second playoff berth in the team's 10-year history. Anthony Tolliver and Gary Neal contributed 13 and 12 points, respectively.
"It feels good," said Walker. "I played a complete game. I'm excited that we got the win. We're at .500 now and we're playing some good basketball. I hope we can keep it up."
Coming off the bench, Victor Oladipo netted 21 and grabbed six rebounds and Tobias Harris tallied 15 points and eight rebounds for the Magic, who have lost 12 of 14. Jameer Nelson added 11 points and seven assists and Kyle O'Quinn had 10 points, six boards and five blocks in defeat.
The Bobcats led by as many as six in the first quarter and carried a 20-19 lead going into the second.
There were three lead changes and a tie through the first 3:15 of the second before Charlotte closed out the last 4 1/2 minutes with a 16-6 burst. Jefferson provided 11 points during the run and the Bobcats led 53-36 at the break.
Charlotte maintained a lead of at least 16 for the majority of the third before Orlando netted the last seven points of the quarter to pull within 72-60.
"We continued to fight," said Magic coach Jacque Vaughn. "Guys stepped up and there was great experience for some guys who don't normally get a chance to play."
The Magic came as close as seven after an Oladipo trey with nine minutes left on the clock. Charlotte pushed its advantage back to 14 points halfway through the final frame and led by double-digits the rest of the way.
Orlando is now 26-14 all-time against Charlotte ... The Bobcats have won 12 of their last 14 at home ... Charlotte shot 42.3 percent (33-for-78) from the floor, compared to 35.6 percent (31-for-87) for Orlando.
Apr 4 9:18 PM
- ORLANDO: 60
End of 3rd
Apr 4 8:47 PM
- ORLANDO: 36
Apr 4 8:06 PM
- ORLANDO: 19
End of 1st
Apr 4 7:34 PM
- ORLANDO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:48
Apr 4 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30