Sixers stop CelticsApr 5, 2014 - 5:53 AM
The win was only the third since Jan. 29, when the Sixers defeated the Celtics in Boston on a buzzer-beater. From that time, Philadelphia lost 28 of its last 29 games.
"I'm just so proud of their ability to play as a team and continue to do the right thing and have a true desire to get better," said Philadelphia head coach Brett Brown.
Henry Sims added a career-high 24 points with nine rebounds in the win, while Thaddeus Young and Elliot Williams each contributed 15 points for the Sixers.
Jerryd Bayless paced Boston with 23 points and Rajon Rondo tallied 11 points, 11 rebounds and 16 assists. The Celtics have lost seven straight. Brandon Bass chipped in 12 points and 11 boards in the setback.
"They moved the ball, they moved bodies," said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens. "Carter-Williams was fantastic. Henry Sims dominated the paint for them. I'm sure they've had their down moments throughout their losing streak, but tonight wasn't one of them."
Jeff Green converted a three-point play to help the Celtics trim the deficit to 89-86 at the midway point of the fourth.
Carter-Williams answered with two straight buckets to extend the margin and jumpstart an 11-4 run that gave the Sixers a 100-90 lead with 2:21 remaining.
Green was fouled shooting a 3-pointer and converted all three from the stripe to cut the deficit to seven, but that is as close as the hosts would get.
Earlier, the Sixers jumped out to a 23-17 lead after one. Boston outscored Philadelphia, 34-26, in the second quarter and the Celtics brought a 51-49 lead into the locker room at the half.
Boston led by four with four minutes left in the third when the Sixers ended the quarter on an 11-2 run to take a 76-71 after three.
There were seven ties and six lead changes ... Philadelphia shot 39-for-77 (50.6 percent) from the field ... Boston outrebounded the Sixers, 49-34 ... Philadelphia owned a 54-38 advantage in the paint.
Apr 4 10:04 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 76
End of 3rd
Apr 4 9:24 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 49
Apr 4 8:43 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 23
End of 1st
Apr 4 8:05 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Apr 4 7:42 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29