Love posts triple-double as Wolves rout LakersMar 29, 2014 - 6:20 AM Los Angeles Lakers.
Nikola Pekovic added 26 points in his return to the lineup and Kevin Martin finished with 17 for the Timberwolves, winners in two straight. Pekovic had missed the previous six games with an ankle injury.
"It was obviously a good game for us. Good to have Pek' back. He really set the tone inside for us," said Wolves coach Rick Adelman.
Kent Bazemore scored 21 points and Jodie Meeks added 19 for the Lakers, losers in six of their last eight games.
The Wolves opened the game on a 20-4 run and saw their spread swell to 19 several times before carrying a 41-24 edge into the second quarter. Love scored 15 points and Pekovic added 12 in the first. Minnesota went 13-for-20 from the field in the quarter and made 13-of-14 from the free throw line.
The Wolves continued to pour it on in the second, stretching their spread to 37, 71-36, after Martin hit a fadeaway jumper with 1:51 remaining in the first half. Minnesota led 74-43 at the break.
Minnesota shot a blistering 64.1 percent over the first 24 minutes.
The Wolves led by as many as 40 in the third and never saw their lead dip below 30 the rest of the way.
Minnesota finished 51-of-76 from the floor.
"We were having fun with (the triple-double), but there came a point with like three minutes left in the third where there were a couple turnovers in a row and we were trying to force the issue a little bit," Love said. "So we just played and that's how things happen."
The Wolves outscored the Lakers 66-48 in the paint and 21-8 on second chance points ... Gorgui Dieng had 14 points and nine rebounds and Ricky Rubio added 10 points, six rebounds and six assists for Minnesota ... The Lakers scored 30 points off 21 Minnesota turnovers.
Mar 28 10:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 77
End of 3rd
Mar 28 9:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 43
Mar 28 9:10 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 24
End of 1st
Mar 28 8:35 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:48
Mar 28 8:10 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15