Spurs tie franchise record with 17th straight winMar 30, 2014 - 4:47 AM
The franchise also won 17 games in a row from Feb. 29-March 31, 1996.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich noted after the game that Belinelli brings more to the Spurs lineup than just his 3-point shooting.
"He's been really steady for us and he plays a great all-around game," said Popovich. "He's not just a shooter, but he's a good passer. He's maybe one of our two best cutters on the team without the ball."
Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard each scored 15 points with five rebounds for San Antonio, while Austin Daye added 13 points in the win.
Brian Roberts paced New Orleans with 18 points off the bench. Austin Rivers recorded 16 points in a reserve role and Tyreke Evans added 11 points for the Pelicans, who had their five-game winning streak snapped.
Anthony Davis missed the contest after spraining his ankle early in Friday's contest against Utah.
"We just came out really slow in that first (quarter)," said Rivers. "It was kind of tough from there. They're the best team in the NBA. They play so well together."
Alexis Ajinca opened the game with a jumper for New Orleans and San Antonio countered with a 23-4 run.
Belinelli scored eight points during the surge and Ginobili capped it with a layup to give the Spurs a 23-6 lead with just over four minutes left.
New Orleans responded with a 9-2 run to cut the deficit to 10, but Ginobili converted a three-point play to close the scoring in the first with San Antonio leading 28-15 after 12 minutes.
An 11-2 run for the Spurs late in the second helped the Spurs to a 19-point advantage and they led 52-35 at the break.
Duncan's layup early in the fourth stretched the lead to a game-high 22, 61-39, but the Pelicans trimmed the deficit to 70-59 entering the fourth.
New Orleans couldn't get within single digits in the fourth as the Spurs continued to roll.
San Antonio shot 37-for-78 (47.4 percent) from the field ... New Orleans made 32-of-81 attempts from the floor ... The Spurs had a 46-41 edge on the boards.
Mar 29 10:42 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 59
SAN ANTONIO: 70
End of 3rd
Mar 29 10:11 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 35
SAN ANTONIO: 52
Mar 29 9:29 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 15
SAN ANTONIO: 28
End of 1st
Mar 29 9:03 PM
- NEW ORLEANS: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:43
Mar 29 8:41 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11