Nowitzki, Mavs move past LakersApr 5, 2014 - 5:56 AM Dallas Mavericks to a 107-95 win over the Los Angeles Lakers.
Brandan Wright posted a season-high 23 points off the bench on 10-for-10 shooting for the Mavericks and Shawn Marion tallied 15 points and grabbed eight boards.
"No one wants to miss shots," Wright said. "My teammates made some great passes to me. I always feel good on back-to-backs. We had a sense of urgency in the fourth quarter and pulled away."
Dallas remained one-half game ahead of Memphis and Phoenix for seventh place in the Western Conference. The Mavericks have five games remaining on their schedule, while the Grizzlies and Suns each have six games left.
Jodie Meeks led LA with 25 points, while Jordan Hill registered 14 points with 10 rebounds in the setback, the Lakers' third in a row and fifth in their last six games.
"I thought we played well for most of the game," said Mike D'Antoni. "We needed a couple more guys to have bigger games and we just didn't quite get it. We have to give them credit because they played like they were a playoff team. They played pretty well."
Nowitzki followed a Devin Harris 3-pointer with a jumper and the Mavericks led 82-78 after three quarters.
Nowitzki then opened the fourth with a jumper and Wright scored seven straight as Dallas used a 9-0 run to open the frame to take a 91-78 lead.
The Mavs led by as many as 15 after a Wright slam made it a 99-84 game midway through the fourth. LA couldn't trim the lead to single digits in the closing minutes as Dallas cruised.
Earlier, the Mavs led 27-23 after 12 minutes, but the Lakers brought a 54-52 lead into the halftime break.
Dallas shot 44-for-92 from the floor ... The Mavs had a 64-44 edge in the paint ... There were 12 lead changes and 11 ties ... Pau Gasol (vertigo) and Chris Kaman (strained calf) each missed the contest for LA.
Apr 5 12:44 AM
- DALLAS: 82
LOS ANGELES: 78
End of 3rd
Apr 5 12:15 AM
- DALLAS: 52
LOS ANGELES: 54
Apr 4 11:33 PM
- DALLAS: 27
LOS ANGELES: 23
End of 1st
Apr 4 11:02 PM
- DALLAS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:46
Apr 4 10:41 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10