Nowitzki leads Mavericks over JazzApr 9, 2014 - 4:46 AM Salt Lake City, UT (SportsNetwork.com) - Dirk Nowitzki tallied 21 points and six rebounds to lead the Dallas Mavericks to a 95-83 win over the Utah Jazz on Tuesday.
Nowitzki moved past Oscar Robertson into sole possession of 10th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list with 27,714 points. Robertson had 26,710.
"One of the few times I've truly been in awe of an accomplishment," Nowitzki said. "Top 10 all-time scorers is an unbelievable accomplishment because it's a level of excellence that's beyond belief."
Monta Ellis netted 16 points and Vince Carter added 13 for Dallas, which has won four straight and holds a one-game lead over the Phoenix Suns for the seventh seed in the Western Conference playoff race.
Mavericks Shawn Marion, Jose Calderon and Samuel Dalembert chipped in 10 points apiece.
Derrick Favors totaled 19 points and seven rebounds and Enes Kanter added 15 points and a season-high 19 rebounds for the Jazz, who have lost seven of eight. Richard Jefferson scored 15 points and Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks contributed 11 and 10, respectively, in defeat.
Dallas led 81-65 heading into the fourth quarter and soon went up by 18, but an 9-2 surge by the Jazz brought them within 11. Later, a 7-1 run by Utah -- with all seven coming from Favors -- got them within 92-83 with two minutes on the clock.
In the last 1:22 the Jazz missed their final three shots and Dallas countered with three points to seal the deal.
Earlier, Utah jumped out to a 13-6 lead before Dallas fired back with a 12-5 run to knot the game at 18 apiece with 5 1/2 left in the first quarter. The Mavericks closed out the quarter with a 15-4 burst to stake themselves a 39-25 lead.
"I thought we came out and we gave up 39 points in the first quarter. I thought we played better after that first quarter," Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin said.
Dallas maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second period and had a 61-46 advantage at the break.
Utah pulled within 10 points two minutes into the third, the closest it came since there was two minutes left in the first quarter. Carter nailed a 3- pointer to stretch the margin to 20 points with four minutes left in the quarter.
The Mavericks have six straight road wins, their longest such streak since winning six in a row from Feb. 12-March 7, 2011 ... The Mavericks are 29-4 this season when holding their opponent under 100 points ... Utah leads the all-time series 89-66 ... Dallas have won five straight and 12 of 15 against the Jazz.
Apr 8 11:09 PM
- DALLAS: 81
End of 3rd
Apr 8 10:37 PM
- DALLAS: 61
Apr 8 10:00 PM
- DALLAS: 39
End of 1st
Apr 8 9:35 PM
- DALLAS: 2
1st Quarter - 11:45
Apr 8 9:11 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26
- Mejri, Lee out for Dallas against Oklahoma City playoff game Apr 25