Jazz knock off Wolves in 2-OTApr 17, 2014 - 4:42 AM
Gordon Hayward totaled 23 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists and Derrick Favors had 21 points and 12 boards for the Jazz (25-57), who snapped a five- game skid. Jeremy Evans added 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Alec Burks and Richard Jefferson contributed 11 points apiece.
"To finish with a win, it's good for us as a team," said Heyward. "Regardless of the circumstances and regardless of the record, it's just better to go out with a win. We battled tonight and won the game."
Kevin Martin had a game-high 36 points and Kevin Love put up 19 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists for the T'Wolves (40-42), who lost five of seven to end the season. Ricky Rubio netted 14 and dished six helpers in defeat.
"I'm just disappointed," said Wolves head coach Rick Adelman. "Disappointed in this game."
After trading baskets with the score 125-122, Burke took over in the second overtime, scoring nine of the last 10 points for the Jazz, which was countered by eight point from Minnesota.
The Jazz led by five, 115-110, with 3:15 left in the first overtime before a 9-2 burst from the T'Wolves made the score 119-117 with a minute left, however, a Favors putback sent the game to the second extra frame.
Utah led by 14 points, 87-73, just over a minute into the fourth before an 11-2 burst by Minnesota cut the margin to five points. The Jazz pushed their lead to 100-90 with 4:47 left on the clock. The T'Wolves, however, closed out regulation with a 17-7 swing to force overtime.
Earlier, the Jazz led 31-17 after a quarter of play, but Minnesota outscored them 31-20 in the second to trim the gap to 51-48 going into the break.
The game was knotted at 59-59 four minutes into the third period before the Jazz scored 10 straight over the next three minutes. Utah maintained a lead of at least seven the rest of the frame and led, 80-70, heading into the fourth.
The Jazz are now 69-35 all-time against Minnesota and 40-13 when playing in Utah ... Minnesota fell to 4-29 on the season when trailing after three quarters ... Dante Cunningham and Ronny Turiaf scored 13 and 12 points, respectively, while Alexey Shved and Corey Brewer added 11 points apiece for Minnesota.
Apr 16 10:56 PM
- UTAH: 119
End of OT
Apr 16 10:34 PM
- UTAH: 107
End of Regulation
Apr 16 10:20 PM
- UTAH: 80
End of 3rd
Apr 16 9:45 PM
- UTAH: 51
Apr 16 9:03 PM
- UTAH: 31
End of 1st
Apr 16 8:31 PM
- UTAH: 2
1st Quarter - 11:44
Apr 16 8:12 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Thibodeau's role w/Wolves: 'It's about alignment, not power' Apr 26