Evans leads Pelicans over RocketsApr 17, 2014 - 6:13 AM
Evans, who also grabbed six rebounds, was coming off the best game of his career when he went for 41 points, nine boards and eight assists in a win over Oklahoma City on Monday.
Austin Rivers, who was ejected from the Thunder win following a second-quarter altercation with Nick Collison, donated 18 points and eight assists for the Pelicans. Anthony Morrow had 15 points off the bench.
The Pelicans (34-48) won their final two games after dropping eight straight.
"We're really excited and happy to be able to get a win the last game of the season," said Pelicans head coach Monty Williams. "Now we've got to build on all of the things that we've learned and the growth that we've had this year."
Houston had already locked up the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference and rested starters James Harden and Chandler Parsons for this one. Troy Daniels paced the Rockets with a career-high 22 points in his first start of the season.
The Rockets (54-28) will host the Portland Trail Blazers in the opening round of the playoffs.
"It feels good," said Rockets forward Terrence Jones. "I'm confident in our team right now."
New Orleans seized an early 11-4 lead, but Jones kept Houston close with nine of the team's first 11 points and Daniels hit a 3-ball from the left wing to tie it at 14 midway through the first.
The Rockets led 30-28 after one but trailed 53-50 at halftime.
New Orleans was ahead for the majority of the second half until Jordan Hamilton's transition finger roll at 2:51 of the fourth quarter capped an 8-2 Houston run and put the Rockets back on top, 100-99.
Out of a timeout, Evans restored the Pelicans' lead with a layup, Jeff Withey got a short hook to go and Evans scored again to seal it in the final minute.
Houston won the season series, 3-1 ... Jones scored 17 points for the Rockets. Patrick Beverley and Hamilton netted 14 apiece and Donatas Motiejunas had 11 points and 10 rebounds ... New Orleans outscored Houston 60-36 in the paint.
Apr 16 10:14 PM
- HOUSTON: 78
NEW ORLEANS: 80
End of 3rd
Apr 16 9:46 PM
- HOUSTON: 50
NEW ORLEANS: 53
Apr 16 9:07 PM
- HOUSTON: 30
NEW ORLEANS: 28
End of 1st
Apr 16 8:42 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
NEW ORLEANS: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Apr 16 8:12 PM
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28