Suns knock off KingsApr 17, 2014 - 6:38 AM Phoenix Suns surpassed all their preseason projections. Unfortunately, it still wasn't enough to earn a playoff spot in the brutal Western Conference.
Archie Goodwin had a career-high 29 points off the bench and the Suns defeated the Sacramento Kings, 104-99, on Wednesday night in the season finale for both teams.
"I fed off my teammates," said Goodwin. "They put me in great positions for me to score. Everything was going my way tonight."
Marcus Morris tallied 22 points and six rebounds, while twin brother Markieff added 15 points for the Suns (48-34), whose record tied the 2008 Golden State Warriors for a team that did not reach the postseason in the 16-team playoff era.
The best team to not make the playoffs was the 1971-72 Suns, who went 49-33, but only the top four teams from each conference qualified.
Phoenix, which went 25-57 a year ago, snapped a three-game skid.
Ben McLemore netted a game-high 31 points for Sacramento (28-54), which closed the year by dropping six of its last seven.
"My challenge to them is simple, we all have to come back better players and better coaches," said Kings coach Michael Malone. "If we all make sacrifices and make improvements and come back better, we will be a better team for that."
The game was tied at 94-94 before Goodwin nailed a jumper and triple on consecutive possessions to stake Phoenix to a 99-94 cushion with 3:13 to play. Quincy Acy's tip-in got the Kings back within three, but Markieff Morris drove in for a layup at the other end and Sacramento never got within a possession again.
Earlier, the Kings led 24-21 after a quarter of play, but the Suns outscored them 26-23 in the second to tie the game at 47-47 heading into the break.
Sacramento led 74-71 after three.
The Suns played without leading scorer Goran Dragic, who sat out with a sore left ankle ... The Kings outrebounded the Suns, 54-40 ... Phoenix shot 46.5 percent (40-of-86) from the floor.
Apr 17 12:54 AM
- PHOENIX: 71
End of 3rd
Apr 17 12:15 AM
- PHOENIX: 47
Apr 16 11:36 PM
- PHOENIX: 21
End of 1st
Apr 16 11:03 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Quarter - 11:40
Apr 16 10:43 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Suns remove 'interim' tag, retain Earl Watson as coach Apr 19
- Jazz disappointed to miss playoffs, but gain experience Apr 14
- After awful season, Suns may well retain Watson as coach Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14