Saint Joseph's outlasts Drexel 77-67 in OTNov 14, 2009 - 4:39 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Darrin Govens scored 23 points, including seven points that sparked a 13-0 run in overtime, to lead Saint Joseph's in a 77-67 win over Drexel in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Trailing 60-57 with 23 seconds to play in regulation, Govens hit a 3-pointer to pull the Hawks even. After Jamie Harris sank a pair of free throws following a Todd O'Brien foul, Garrett Williamson hit a jumper to tie the score at 62-all with 3 seconds left. Harris missed a 3 to win the game for Drexel, sending it into the extra period.
In overtime, Drexel went up 67-64 less than 2 minutes in on Derrick Thomas' 3-pointer. That was the last time the Dragons would score, as O'Brien hit a free throw that started the game-winning 13-0 run.
Idris Hilliard finished with 16 points for the Hawks, including a 10-for-11 mark from the foul line.
Harris led the Dragons with 20 points.
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 77 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Nov 13 9:49 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT JOSEPHS 31 HALFTIME
Nov 13 7:59 PM
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6
- No. 13 Gonzaga rips SJU Nov 20