George Mason holds off Liberty, 76-72Nov 14, 2009 - 3:10 AM FAIRFAX, Va.(AP) -- Andre Cornelius had 17 points to lead George Mason to a 76-72 victory over Liberty in their season opener Friday night.
Luke Hancock's 3-pointer gave George Mason a 74-66 lead with 31 seconds remaining.
Ryan Pearson had 12 points and eight rebounds for GMU. Mike Morrison added 12 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.
Kyle Ohman had 23 points, seven rebounds and three assists for Liberty, which has not won a season opener on the road since winning at Brooklyn in 1988. Jesse Sanders added 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
After making two free throws, Cornelius assisted Mike Morrison's layup on the run for a 68-59 lead.
Cornelius shot 3 of 4 from behind the arc to lead GMU to a 40-27 halftime lead.
After Ohman scored Liberty's first nine points, Cam Long's 3-pointer gave GMU a 10-9 lead it did not relinquish.
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31
- No. 10 St. Louis holds off pesky George Mason in OT Feb 20
- Patriots face tall task in clash with 10th-ranked Billikens Feb 19
- Loe leads Saint Louis past George Mason in OT Feb 1
- Patriots seek upset of 19th-ranked Billikens Feb 1