Morgan State rallies late to fend off Albany 69-65Nov 14, 2009 - 3:51 AM ALBANY, N.Y.(AP) -- Senior guard Reggie Holmes scored 23 points as Morgan State opened its season with a 69-65 victory over Albany on Friday night.
The Great Danes (0-2), who lost their opener to Syracuse on Monday, led 60-56 with 7:01 remaining against the Bears, a first-round loser to Oklahoma in last season's NCAA Tournament.
Morgan State went ahead to stay, 61-60, with 4:23 to play after a 3-pointer by Holmes and a dunk by Dewayne Jackson after a steal.
Morgan State took a 27-16 lead with 6:36 left in the first half after a 10-0 run that included a 3-pointer and three free throws by Holmes. Will Harris answered with four baskets for Albany, including a 3-pointer, to help cut a 29-22 Morgan State lead to 33-33 at halftime.
Tim Ambrose scored 21 points and Harris added 18 to pace Albany of the America East Conference.
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Thomas leads Oklahoma past Albany Mar 21
- Albany challenges Oklahoma in East Regional action Mar 20
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Florida clamps down on Albany to kick off NCAA sojourn Mar 20
- Gators get started with Great Danes Mar 20
- Great Danes and Mountaineers tip off NCAA Tournament action Mar 18
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Albany tops Stony Brook to repeat as America East champ Mar 15
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Albany and Stony Brook meet for America East crown Mar 15