Fairfield defeats Central Connecticut State 67-58Nov 14, 2009 - 4:16 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 18 points and Fairfield defeated Central Connecticut State 67-58 in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Derek Needham scored all of his 14 points in the first half for the Stags.
Fairfield made its first 10 shots from the field and took an 18-10 lead on a layup by Johnson with 14:13 left in the first half of the Connecticut 6 Classic.
Fairfield led 40-30 at halftime after shooting 51.6 percent (19 of 33) and holding the Blue Devils to 39.1 percent (9 of 23) in the first half.
The Blue Devils cut the lead to 56-51 on a layup by Robby Ptacek, but the Stags answered with a 9-1 run over the next three minutes.
Jamal Turner capped the run on a layup with 4:37 remaining for a 65-52 Fairfield lead.
Vince Rosario and Ptacek led the Blue Devils with 15 points each.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rolls Dec 31