South Alabama beats out Houston Baptist, 76-64Nov 14, 2009 - 2:01 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Martino Brock had 21 points and nine rebounds to lead South Alabama to a 76-64 win Friday over Houston Baptist.
LaShun Watson had 17 points for the Jaguars (1-0) and the team went 23-for-35 from the free-throw line in the first game of the Rice Basketball Challenge.
Mario Flaherty had a double-double for Houston Baptist (0-1) with 21 points and 11 rebounds, but the team could not overcome hitting just 22 of 63 tries from inside the three-point line.
Wendell Preadom had 12 points for Houston Baptist and Andrew Gonzales had another 11.
South Alabama out-rebounded its opponents 45-39, though Houston Baptist did better on free throws, hitting 19 of 26.
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- Michigan buries Houston Baptist Dec 7
- Huskies come calling on 22nd-ranked Wolverines Dec 7
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- South Alabama's Arrow retires Dec 19
- South Alabama upends No. 25 Florida State Nov 10