N.C.-Wilmington 68, Appalachian St. 79Nov 14, 2009 - 3:17 AM BOONE, N.C. (AP) -- Kellen Brand scored 20 points and made all 14 of his free throws as Appalachian State defeated North Carolina-Wilmington 79-68 Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Brand was 10-for-10 from the free throw line in the first half as the Mountaineers went 15-for-18. They finished the game 33-for-42 (78.6 percent) from the line.
Appalachian State shot 60.9 percent from the field (14-for-23) in the first half to take a 44-31 lead into halftime.
The Mountaineers extended the lead to 58-39 with 13:27 left, but the Seahawks pulled within 72-68 with 32 seconds remaining.
Appalachian State answered with a 7-0 run, the last four points by Brand, to seal the win.
Donald Sims added 18 points for the Mountaineers, who avenged an 108-101 overtime loss to UNC-Wilmington in last year's opener.
John Fields led the Seahawks with 21 points on 9-for-14 shooting.
- NCAA BB
UNC WILMINGTON 68
APPALACHIAN ST 79 FINAL
Nov 13 9:21 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC WILMINGTON 31
APPALACHIAN ST 44 HALFTIME
Nov 13 8:04 PM
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- UNC-Wilmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts Mar 27
- Peterson out as UNCW head coach Mar 11
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- No. 19 North Carolina cruises past UNC-Wilmington Dec 31
- Seahawks and Tar Heels meet in New Year's Eve fracas Dec 31
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1