St. John's tops Long Island 83-70 in season openerNov 14, 2009 - 2:27 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- D.J. Kennedy scored 16 points to lead St. John's to an 83-70 victory over Long Island on Friday in the season opener for both teams.
Kennedy shot 5-for-11 from the field and grabbed seven rebounds to lead five different St. John's players in double figures. Dwight Hardy chipped in with 14 points, while Paris Horne, Justin Burrell and Justin Brownlee each scored 12.
The Blackbirds were paced by Jaytornah Wisseh, who scored 28 points on 9 of 15 shooting.
Long Island used a 14-5 run in the second half to cut the St. John's lead to 71-64 after two free throws by Wisseh with 4:56 remaining. However, Long Island would get no closer, as St. John's would only allow the Blackbirds to score six more points for the rest of the game.
Long Island shot 85.7 percent from the free throw line (18 for 21), but shot only 38.3 percent from the field (23 for 60).
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- St. John's center Sima out 4-6 weeks with broken hand Jan 8
- St. John's freshman Kassoum Yakwe cleared to play by NCAA Nov 25
- NCAA reinstates St. John's guard Felix Balamou Nov 19
- St. John's Balamou sidelined indefinitely by NCAA Nov 13
- St. John's LoVett ruled a partial qualifier by NCAA Nov 11
- St. Thomas Aquinas beats St. John's 90-58 Nov 4
- St. John's about to start the "Mullin Era" Oct 21
- Richmond, St. Jean complete Mullin's staff Oct 6
- St. John's hires Chris Mullin as coach Mar 31
- Report: Mullin to be St. John's coach Mar 30
- St. John's and Lavin part ways Mar 27