Downey scores 23, SCarolina breezes to 88-50 winNov 14, 2009 - 6:37 AM By JEFFREY COLLINS Associated Press Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 23 points and South Carolina opened its season with an 88-50 win over Alabama A&M on Friday night.
Downey, the all-Southeastern Conference guard who passed up the NBA to return for his senior season, made his first five shots from the field, including three 3-pointers. He finished the night 7 of 9 from the field, hitting 4 of 5 3-pointers.
The Gamecocks scored the first 14 points of the game to quickly put away the Bulldogs, who finished in the middle of the Southwestern Athletic Conference last season.
Along with Downey, South Carolina returned three other starters from last year's 21-10 team and they combined for 65 points.
Evan Hilton led the Bulldogs with 13 points.
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5
- South Carolina looks to rebound at home after tough stretch Jan 25