St. Bonaventure defeats Cleveland State 72-62Nov 14, 2009 - 4:17 AM ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y.(AP) -- Jonathan Hall scored 20 points and St. Bonaventure shot better than 77 percent in the first half to defeat Cleveland State 72-62 Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Michael Davenport came off the bench to score 19 points for the Bonnies and Andrew Nicholson added 17.
St. Bonaventure jumped out to a 10-2 lead over the defending Horizon League tournament champions, leading 43-22 with 42 seconds left in the first half by shooting 17-for-22 from the field.
Norris Cole made a 3-pointer for Cleveland State to end the first half and the Vikings opened the second half with an 8-2 run to trail 45-33. Cleveland State could pull no closer than 12 until Jeremy Montgomery hit a 3-pointer with 22 seconds left for the final margin.
Cole scored 13 points to lead the Vikings and Jared Cunningham and Aaron Pogue scored 11 each. Pogue also had nine rebounds.
- Surprising St. Bonaventure nudges into NCAA Tournament talk Mar 10
- St. Bonaventure stuns VCU on buzzer-beater Feb 7
- Bonnies entertain 18th-ranked Rams Feb 7
- Virginia downs Cleveland State, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- No. 6 Virginia gets back to work against Cleveland State Dec 18
- Louisville grinds past Cleveland State for Pitino's 700th win Nov 26
- Cardinals set sights on Vikings Nov 26
- Gathers' buzzer-beater gives Bonnies upset of Saint Louis Mar 14
- Bonnies battle Billikens in A-10 tourney Mar 14
- Kloof helps Bonnies knock off Minutemen Jan 29
- Bonnies seek upset of 21st-ranked Minutemen Jan 29
- Saint Louis downs Bonnies for 10th straight win Jan 16