Loyola, Md., beats Vermont 79-66Nov 14, 2009 - 2:52 AM LOYOLA, Md.(AP) -- Brett Harvey scored 23 points to lead Loyola (Md.) past Vermont 79-66 in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Harvey was 8-for-14 from the field, including 5 of 7 three-point attempts, to lead three Greyhounds in double figures. Anthony Winbush added 16 points and Jawaan Wright had 11, including seven straight in the second half. Shane Walker had a game-high eight rebounds.
The Greyhounds led 44-36 at halftime, but the Catamounts pulled to within 48-44 with 16:48 to play. A free throw by Tony Lewis and a Harvey 3-pointer pushed the Loyola lead up to eight points and the Greyhounds were never threatened again.
Marqus Blakely led the Catamounts with 26 points and Maurice Joseph had 16.
The Greyhounds have won two of the past three meetings. the previous two games were decided by a total of six points.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 79 FINAL
Nov 13 9:17 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 44 HALFTIME
Nov 13 8:00 PM
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16