Coastal Carolina beats College of Charleston 70-59Nov 14, 2009 - 4:46 AM CONWAY, S.C.(AP) -- Joseph Harris scored 21 points and Coastal Carolina defeated College of Charleston 70-59 in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
Harris shot 9-for-17 from the field, and added a game-high 17 rebounds for the Chanticleers. Chad Gray contributed 17 points and eight rebounds. The win snapped a 10-game and 17-year losing streak to the Cougars.
A layup by freshman Danny Nieman capped a 12-0 run for Coastal Carolina, which took its biggest lead of the night at 54-41 with 7:38 remaining. The Cougars would make a push, cutting the Chanticleers' lead to 54-49 on a free throw by Willis Hall with 4:22 left, but Nieman's layup at the 2:41 mark pushed the Coastal lead to 59-49.
Andrew Goudelock paced the Cougars with 19 points, while Willis Hall added 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 59
COASTL CAROLINA 70 FINAL
Nov 13 9:35 PM
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- West Virginia routs College of Charleston Nov 30
- Cougars hit road to challenge 21st-ranked Mountaineers Nov 29
- No. 17 UConn fends off Charleston Nov 20
- Huskies take on Cougars in Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 20
- College of Charleston fires Wojcik Aug 5
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9