Savannah State defeats Webber International 65-51Nov 14, 2009 - 5:15 AM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Arnold Louis scored 16 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead Savannah State to a 65-51 victory over Webber International on Friday night.
The Tigers (1-0) never trailed, leading by as many as 11 points in the first half and taking a 32-26 halftime lead.
Webber International, an NAIA school, pulled within 37-35 with 12:11 left on two free throws by Tyler Hoevenaar. Savannah State scored eight unanswered points, starting with three straight layups by Louis, to regain a double-digit lead.
Tracy Rankins added 12 points for the Tigers, who are coming off a 15-14 season, and Rashad Hassan chipped in 11.
Hoevenaar led the Warriors with 12 points and eight assists. Halston Schaffer added 11 points on 5-for-9 shooting and Marvin Williams scored 10.
Savannah State was 11-for-17 from the free throw line in the second half, but 0-for-8 from 3-point range.
- NCAA BB
WEBBER INTL 51
SAVANNAH ST 65 FINAL
Nov 13 11:03 PM
- NCAA BB
WEBBER INTL 26
SAVANNAH ST 32 HALFTIME
Nov 13 9:32 PM
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12
- No. 7 Florida gets by Savannah State as Boynton exits early Nov 20
- Savannah State challenges No. 7 Florida Nov 20