Arizona State routs Western Illinois 87-35Nov 14, 2009 - 4:25 AM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Starters Jamelle McMillan scored 12 points and Rihards Kuksiks and Derek Glasser added 10 apiece to help Arizona State to a decisive 87-35 victory against overmatched Western Illinois in a season opener Friday night.
Eric Boateng had nine points and nine rebounds, one short of his career high, and Jerren Shipp added eight points to help the Sun Devils record the largest margin of victory in coach Herb Sendek's four seasons. The previous record under Sendek had been 39.
Playing Sendek's favorite 3-2 matchup zone defense, ASU held the Leathernecks to 23.1 percent shooting (12 of 52).
Matt Lander led the Leathernecks with 14 points.
McMillan, a junior scored all his points on three-point baskets, making 4 of 5 from long range.
ASU freshman Demetrius Walker added 12 points as Sendek played his reserves most of the second half. Glasser, a point guard, played an ASU-high 24 minutes.
The Sun Devils, coming off a 25-13 season in which they reached the second round of the NCAA tournament, must replace their two leading scorers, All-American guard James Harden and center Jeff Pendergraph.
Harden averaged 20.1 points a game last year and was the third player taken in the NBA draft. Pendergraph averaged 14.3 points and was the first player taken in the second round.
The game was Sendeks 100th at ASU. The Sun Devils are 55-45 in his tenure. ASU was 66-34 in Ned Wulks first 100 games. It was 59-41 in Bill Frieders first 100 and 51-49 in Rob Evans first 100.
Western Illinois, a member of the Summit League, played without starting point guard Ceola Clark, who was sidelined with an ankle injury. The Leathernecks made four of their first 20 shots and trailed 33-11 after 17 1/2 minutes.
It was the first meeting between the schools.
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- Hurley trying to make the pieces fit at Arizona State Sep 30
- ASU hires Duke legend Hurley as head coach Apr 9
- ASU fires Sendek Mar 24
- Utah routs Arizona State with dominant first half Feb 27
- Pac-12 action pits Utes against Sun Devils Feb 26