Fresno State wins opener, 65-59Nov 14, 2009 - 5:43 AM FRESNO, Calif.(AP) -- Paul George scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds as Fresno State opened its season Friday night by defeating San Francisco State 65-59.
Greg Smith, a 6-foot-10 freshman from Fresno, added 17 points and 10 rebounds in his first game for the Bulldogs, who trailed 32-31 at the half but opened the second half with 12 unanswered points and led the rest of the way.
Marquel Hoskins had 18 points and eight assists for the Gators, who pulled to within 59-57 on Phoenix O'Rourkes 3-pointer with 2:25 left.
On Fresno State's next possession, George drove to the basket before passing to Smith, who capped the play with a one-handed dunk. A steal and two free throws by Brandon Sperling with 1:33 left pushed the lead to 63-57.
ORourke finished with 15 points for Division II San Francisco State (2-1). The game counted as an exhibition for the Gators.
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18
- Cowboys visit Bulldogs in pivotal Mountain West clash Jan 17
- Siena downs Fresno State in CBI final Apr 5
- Bulldogs and Saints meet in CBI rubber match Apr 5
- Fresno State routs Siena, ties CBI Apr 2
- Siena seeks CBI crown in showdown with Fresno State Apr 2
- Saints and Bulldogs square off in CBI title series Mar 31
- New Mexico cruises past Fresno State Mar 14
- Lobos meet Bulldogs in MWC action Mar 13
- No. 13 SDSU cruises past Fresno State Mar 2
- Bulldogs entertain 13th-ranked Aztecs Mar 1